Florida Asthma-Friendly School Recognition
17 schools received recognition for their efforts during the 2013-2014 school year! Scroll down to see the list of schools.
– Stay tuned for 2014-2015 Award Information –
A limited number of cash awards may be given, so start planning now!
About the Florida Asthma-Friendly School Recognition
The Florida Asthma-Friendly School Recognition was developed to recognize public schools that meet criteria for excellence in asthma management. These are schools where administrators, staff, nurses, faculty, families, and clinical partners are working together to help students with asthma properly manage their disease. Recognized schools enjoy a healthier student body and opportunities to show off their school’s success through local and state media opportunities.
Criteria & Recognition Levels
Recognition is offered at four levels: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. For the 2013-2014 school year, our partner, the Florida Healthy Kid’s Corporation, offered a financial incentive for recognized schools.
- Asthma leadership team established.
- School nurses, faculty and staff participate in asthma training at least every other school year. Note: Participation requirements increase based on award level – See Application Guide.
- School ensures immediate access to asthma medications per Florida statute.
- School provides student centered asthma management support. Note: Requirements increase based on award level – See Application Guide.
- School posts asthma posters in high-traffic areas.
- School provides physical education and activity opportunities that meet needs of children with asthma.
Silver: $750 All of the above and…
- School works with community partners to provide self-management education to students with asthma.
- School works with community partners to offer education to parents about asthma management.
Gold: $1,000 All of the above and…
- School maintains a healthy school environment through implementation of an indoor air quality program.
Platinum: $1,500 All of the above and…
- School implements comprehensive asthma procedures or a policy which includes the activities listed in criterion 1-9 & the district meets the 12 criteria for a comprehensive tobacco-free schools policy.
Florida Asthma-Friendly School Application Materials
- 2013/2014 Florida Asthma-Friendly School Application Guide
- 2013/2014 Florida Asthma-Friendly School Application
Free Online Trainings for School Staff
- American Lung Association’s Asthma 101 Program
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America – Online Training for Nurses – 7 Free CEs
Need for Asthma-Friendly Schools
The number of school aged children with asthma is on the rise in Florida and across the nation. Schools are increasingly burdened by the poor outcomes resulting from the disease, namely increased absenteeism, decreased academic performance, and limitations on participation in physical activity. The recently released fact sheet from the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) Asthma Program, Asthma in School-Aged Children, Florida 2014, provides recent data on the impact of asthma on Florida students.
2013-2014 Awarded Florida Asthma-Friendly Schools
|County||Name of School||Recognition Level||Florida Healthy Kids Award||Community Partners|
|Broward||Eagle Point Elementary||Bronze||$500||Broward School Health Advisory Committee|
|Maplewood Elementary||Bronze||$500||American Lung Association|
|Northeast High||Bronze||$500||Broward County Schools|
|FDOH in Broward County|
|Clay||Clay Hill Elementary||Bronze||$500||The Player’s Center at Wolfson Children’s Hospital|
|School District of Clay County|
|Bannerman Learning Center||Bronze||$500||FDOH in Clay County|
|Duval||John Love Elementary||Platinum||$1,500||American Lung Association|
|Duval County Public Schools|
|FDOH in Duval County|
|Flagler||Rymfire Elementary||Bronze||$500||FDOH in Flagler County|
|Flagler County Public Schools|
|Lee||Orange River Elementary||Gold||$1,000||American Lung Association|
|School District of Lee County|
|Littleton Elementary||Bronze||$500||Lee Memorial Health System|
|FDOH in Lee County|
|Leon||Pineview Elementary||Gold||$1,000||Leon School Health Advisory Committee|
|American Lung Association|
|Gretchen Everheart School||Gold||$1,000||Leon County Schools|
|FDOH in Leon County|
|Madison||Madison County Central||Bronze||$500||Madison County School District|
|FDOH in Madison County|
|Miami-Dade||Norwood Elementary School||Bronze||$500||South Florida Asthma Consortium|
|FDOH in Miami-Dade County|
|American Lung Association|
|Miami-Dade County Public Schools|
|Osceola||Boggy Creek Elementary||Silver||$750||School District of Osceola County|
|FDOH in Osceola County|
|Pinellas||John M. Sexton||Silver||$750||American Lung Association|
|Pinellas County Schools|
|All Children’s Hospital|
|FDOH in Pinellas County|
|Santa Rosa||W.H. Rhodes Elementary||Platinum||$1,500||Sacred Heart Hospital|
|Santa Rosa County Schools|
|SS Dixon Primary School||Bronze||$500||American Lung Association|
|FDOH in Santa Rosa County|
2012-2013 Awarded Florida Asthma-Friendly Schools
|Level||Name of School||Awarded||Partners
|Gold||John Love Elementary||5.17.13||American Lung Association (Mentor)
Duval County Public Schools
The Player’s Center at Wolfson Children’s Hospital
FDOH in Duval County
|Gold||Orange River Elementary||5.21.13||American Lung Association (Mentor)
School District of Lee County
Lee Memorial Health System
FDOH in Lee County
|Silver||John M. Sexton Elementary||5.20.13||American Lung Association (Mentor)
Pinellas County Schools
All Children’s Hospital
FDOH in Pinellas County
|Bronze||Pineview Elementary||5.21.13||Leon School Health Advisory Committee (Mentor)
American Lung Association
Leon County Schools
FDOH in Leon County
|Bronze||W. H. Rhodes Elementary||5.31.13||Sacred Heart Hospital (Mentor)
Santa Rosa County Schools
American Lung Association
FDOH in Santa Rosa County