Helpful Links & Resources
Schools & Childcare Center Resources
Asthma is one of the most common long-term diseases of children. It is our goal to provide school healthcare providers an “Asthma In the Schools Toolkit” as a starting point to help advocate and educate your school and community about the importance of asthma-friendly schools.
Here’s how the CDC defines an Asthma Friendly School:
- Appropriate school health services for students with asthma, ensuring that students take their medicines and learn to use them when appropriate.
- Asthma education for students with asthma and awareness programs for students, school staff, parents, and families.
- A safe and healthy school environment to reduce asthma triggers.
- Safe and enjoyable physical education and activities for students with asthma.
Other Helpful Resources:
- CDC EXHALE Technical Package Package to Control Asthma
- CDC Initiating Change: Creating an Asthma-Friendly School
- CDC School and Childcare Center Asthma Resources
- Environmental Protection Agency’s Tools for Schools Initiative
- Strategies for Addressing Asthma within a Coordinated School Health Program
- University of Florida’s National School Integrated Pest Management Information Source