Helpful Links & Resources
Schools & Childcare Center Resources
Asthma is one of the most common long-term diseases of children. It is our goal to provide school healthcare providers an “Asthma In the Schools Toolkit” as a starting point to help advocate and educate your school and community about the importance of asthma-friendly schools.
Here’s how the CDC defines an Asthma Friendly School:
- Appropriate school health services for students with asthma, ensuring that students take their medicines and learn to use them when appropriate.
- Asthma education for students with asthma and awareness programs for students, school staff, parents, and families.
- A safe and healthy school environment to reduce asthma triggers.
- Safe and enjoyable physical education and activities for students with asthma.
Below are a few materials you can download to make it easy to share the importance of Asthma education with your schools.
Open Airways for Schools reporting resources for those schools seeking Silver and above recognition level:
Other Helpful Resources:
- CDC Initiating Change: Creating an Asthma-Friendly School
- CDC School and Childcare Center Asthma Resources
- Environmental Protection Agency’s Tools for Schools Initiative
- Florida Department of Health, Asthma and Schools
- National Asthma Education and Prevention Program
- School Governance and Leadership: Asthma Wellness
- Strategies for Addressing Asthma within a Coordinated School Health Program
- University of Florida’s National School Integrated Pest Management Information Source
- EPA Healthy School Indoor Environments August Back to School E-Newsletter