Florida Asthma-Friendly School Recognition
The 2014-2015 Award Application Period is now CLOSED
Awarded schools will be recognized by May 30, 2015. Interested schools should return in September for updated recognition materials!
About the Florida Asthma-Friendly School Recognition
The Florida Asthma-Friendly School Recognition was developed to recognize public schools that meet criteria for excellence in asthma management. These are schools where administrators, staff, nurses, faculty, families, and clinical partners are working together to help students with asthma properly manage their disease. Recognized schools enjoy a healthier student body and opportunities to show off their school’s success through local and state media opportunities.
17 schools received recognition for their efforts during the 2013-2014 school year! Click the link below to see the list of awarded schools.
Criteria & Recognition Levels
Recognition is offered at four levels: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. For the 2013-2014 school year, our partner, the Florida Healthy Kid’s Corporation, offered a financial incentive for recognized schools.
- Asthma leadership team established.
- School nurses, faculty and staff participate in asthma training at least every other school year. Note: Participation requirements increase based on award level – See Application Guide.
- School ensures immediate access to asthma medications per Florida statute.
- School provides student centered asthma management support. Note: Requirements increase based on award level – See Application Guide.
- School posts asthma posters in high-traffic areas.
- School provides physical education and activity opportunities that meet needs of children with asthma.
Silver: $750 All of the above and…
- School works with community partners to provide self-management education to students with asthma.
- School works with community partners to offer education to parents about asthma management.
Gold: $1,000 All of the above and…
- School maintains a healthy school environment through implementation of an indoor air quality program.
Platinum: $1,500 All of the above and…
- School implements comprehensive asthma procedures or a policy which includes the activities listed in criterion 1-9 & the district meets the 12 criteria for a comprehensive tobacco-free schools policy.
Florida Asthma-Friendly School Application Materials
Print and/or read through the application guide carefully before completing and submitting the application packet.
- 2014-2015 Florida Asthma-Friendly School Application Guide
- 2014-2015 Florida Asthma-Friendly Schools Application Packet
Resources for Successfully Completing the Asthma-Friendly School Award Application
- Asthma-Friendly Schools Mentor Sign-Up (Criterion 1)
- Free Online Training for School Staff and Nurses (Criteria 2, 6, 7, and 8)
- Florida Self-Administration Statute (Criterion 3)
- Asthma Action Plan (Criterion 4)
- Posters (Criterion 5)
- Airnow.gov/EnviroFlash alerts (Criterion 6)
- Environmental Protection Agency’s Tools for Schools Program (Criterion 9)
- Comprehensive Asthma Policy/Procedures and District Level Tobacco Free Schools Policy (Criterion 10)
Need for Asthma-Friendly Schools
The number of school aged children with asthma is on the rise in Florida and across the nation. Schools are increasingly burdened by the poor outcomes resulting from the disease, namely increased absenteeism, decreased academic performance, and limitations on participation in physical activity. The recently released fact sheet from the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) Asthma Program, Asthma in School-Aged Children, Florida 2014, provides recent data on the impact of asthma on Florida students.